Reading Nook

Over the summer we were workingon updating our little girl’s room from a nursery to a “big girl” room.  I posted the Phase 1 updates prior going MIA for 4 months–and now I’m eager to finally post about the latest change that I tackled: creating a reading nook!

reading nook 1

We wanted Sydney to have a space in her room, which is on the main floor of the house, that she could call her own to use when she needed some quiet time.  Plus, when working on a new layout for her room I realized that we didn’t really use the chair that had been in her room since since she was a baby anymore.  It was getting hard to read to her on that chair because she’s getting so big.  That’s when the idea of a little reading nook started to take shape in my mind–something that would be a nice cuddly spot for her to hang out in but that was big enough for both of us at story time.

It was a tall order in such a tiny room. believe me.  I originally wanted to bring in the chaise lounge we currently have in our upstairs loft:

reading nook

but it was much too big for the space with her twin sized bed in there too.  When I found the new ottoman for the living room, it all came together: I could use the old ottoman from the living room for the nook!

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to re-upholster it yet, so I opted to make a simple slipcover.  This was another project I had been mulling over for a long time and didn’t get started on sooner because I knew I wanted to use some white fabric but I didn’t have any on-hand and I’ve been trying very hard not to spend money on projects.  Then one day while I was going through her closet I found an extra white curtain and remembered that the curtain we got from her room:

big girl room 1

was actually sold as a pair, so I had a huge piece of durable white fabric that wasn’t being used for anything just sitting around.  It was the perfect thing to use to make a slipcover for the ottoman.  This ottoman has been around for a long time, and it has already seen one major makeover when I re-upholstered the worn faux leather with a nubby blue and beige fabric many years ago:

Finished ottoman

I set to work using the same method I used for the new living room ottoman’s slipcover:

slipcovered ottoman 1

Which was basically to drape the fabric over the ottoman with the wrong side up, pin the corners into place and then sew them, and the go back with the right side facing out and pinning and then sewing the hem.  I’ll be the first to admit that it isn’t 100% perfect, but it looks pretty darn good if you don’t inspect it too closely.

reading nook 2

Plus, it is nice that it can be removed for easy washing because let’s face it–it is in a 3-year-old’s room and it will need to get washed from time to time!  Since we put this spot in over the summer it has definitely become a favorite of mine.  I love snuggling with the kiddo there at the end of the day with a stack of books and sinking into the pile of pillows.  She doesn’t use it a ton yet for looking at books, but she uses it for other things.  It is also a good spot for me to sit when I help her get ready in the morning.  Overall, I’m so happy about the free reading nook!

Cheers,

G

November Review

November marked my return to blogging after spending my first trimester of pregnancy #2 miserable in bed with all-day morning sickness.  My first post once back gave some additional details, if you’re interested!

I then posted about our very exciting new exterior paint job which brought a fresh new look to our almost 100-year old house:

gray and white exterior after painting

Then I moved onto some early nursery planning with a post on what I learned from decorating our first nursery:

Initial art - nursery 1

I also had a short post about a little face lift in our master bedroom with a new duvet cover:

blue and white duvet cover master bedroomAnd I ended the month with a much overdue post about the new Karlstad sofa we added to DH’s media den this past summer:

karlstad sofa in media denCheers,

G

 

 

Our Side Project

So by now most readers have probably started wondering where the heck I’d gone since I haven’t posted any new updates to the blog in more than 3 months.  Truth be told, I’ve been working on an all-consuming side project: a baby.

Yup, that’s right–our little girl is going to be a big sister!  We’re expecting our new bundle of joy in April and are now busily preparing for his or her arrival.  I say “now” only because from pretty much the moment I found out I was expecting I was blessed with soul-crushing all-day pregnancy nausea and extreme fatigue.  So since the last blog post went up in July, almost nothing has happened at our house–and I don’t just mean new projects.  I mean we’ve barely had time to do the minimum around the house to keep things running, keep ourselves fed and clothed, etc.  DH has been amazing through this whole time taking on all of the house-related upkeep (which he already did a large share of) in addition to taking care of the kiddo while I did nothing but moan, sleep, and try to keep little bits of food down.

Now that I’m squarely in the second trimester of this pregnancy I’m FINALLY starting to feel a bit more normal.  Not 100% yet, but definitely a little better.  So DH and I are going to try to pick up where we left off with the house and get some of our projects moving again.  In addition to still working on the basement and tweaking some of our other rooms, we have a nursery to do!  I’m most excited about the nursery project both because  I love to design nursery spaces and because the state of the room currently is just so sad since we haven’t really done anything to it since we moved it.  It really is a blank slate!

I might not post quite as frequently as I did pre-pregnancy, but I’ll try to at least keep up with the major projects as we go along.  Thanks for your patience as I’ve slogged through these past few months!

Cheers,

G